Sunday, April 3, 2011

Can You Smell What the Blog is Cooking?

The roar of the crowd. The smell of victory - and defeat. This is what Wrestlemania is and has always been about. I was really excited this weekend to have a chance to see my second favorite action hero of all time, the Rock (Van Damme is still the best), up close and in person. For years I have wanted them to remake the movie Double Team with the Rock playing Rodman’s character. The only other person I knew that was going was my old college friend Bryan. Sadly he is a pretty big deal now because he is in Atlanta's premier comedy troupe, and he wouldn't return my calls. No matter. I'll be alone for months on the trail so it really wasn't a big deal.

Stone Cold took the stage first. He tore through the arena on a four wheeler and it was one of the most exciting things I have ever witnessed. I yelled at him in the ring, challenging him to a chugging contest. I'm pretty sure he heard me because the next thing he did was chug and crush a bud over his head. It wasn't really that impressive and I know I could have downed at least two by the time he was done. Next up was the Undertaker, intimidating as ever. To be honest, he was the reason I got into wrestling in middle school, although I ended up quitting because it lacked the excitement of the pro ranks.

The night ended with the most charismatic and electryfing man in Hollywood, and maybe the world, taking center ring - Dwayne Johnson. He dropped his awesome catchphrase, can you smell what the Rock is cooking, on the audience like a ton of bricks. His speech was peppered with classics like jabroni and candy ass. It really took me back to the late 90s, the golden age of wrestling.

When the night was all said and done, I was tired and exhausted, in a good way. Maybe next summer instead of going back onto the trail again I'll try to get into the WWE. Not as a wrestler, more like a manager or director of operations. My friend Bryan is really close to landing a big job with the WWE, so he can probably get me in the door.

I'm really excited and pumped up about getting back into training tomorrow. I only have one week to get into drinking shape for the Braves home opener, so I'll probably start training with a 30 rack of Keystone Light at 10 AM.

A photo during the Rock's speech taken by my friend Bryan from the nosebleeds


No comments:

Post a Comment