Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Reflection

Today marks a huge milestone for version 2.0 of the blog! I was actually able to hit the 1,000 views mark this morning for the month of April! The original blog didn't get 1,000 hits until late 2010, and for some reason, most of those came from Colorado and Illinois. Must be some great hiking out there! I am very happy that the readers of this blog hail from all over the country and the world. I stepped up my game this time, and you guys have come with me.

The blog also gained its 20th follower this week! To commemorate these milestones, I've decided to post a quick "best of" post for those new readers out there. If you haven't been reading the blog from the start, I'd suggest going back to the first post. Enjoy!

Looking Back

The weather had gotten cold and Andrew and his friend had left me. I was on my own. I had to react quickly. Because of the rain, I had needed to rush making a camp. I couldn’t get a fire started, so I set up my tent and tried to get some rest after a marathon session of hiking. It turned out I had set up camp just a few hundred feet away from a pack of grizzlies.

I had some thinking and decision making to do. I asked myself if, realistically, even if there wasn't something wrong with my foot, did I really think I could do this day in day out for 5 months? I thought, and truthfully, the answer was no. BUT, I did also want to hike(even though it was hard as hell at times, I loved the experience, and enjoyed the hiking), and stay out there as long as I felt content out there... not worry about mileage(which if I did go to Maine, eventually I would have to worry about making enough mileage a day), and enjoy the trip

Tough Choices

I no longer recognized the man staring back at me. Could I keep up this up forever? I realized there was only one thing that could be done. I have to face the facts and take control of my life. I have to return. I have to go back to where it all began...

Playing it Safe

Around 3 a.m. I was ready to get some well deserved shut eye. I had been to hell and back today. My eyes were feeling a little strained from the gaming. I climbed into the sleeping bag and tried to sleep. It was cold, so cold my bad wrist was aching. Then I thought to myself, what are you doing Brent? There’s no need to get sick this close to launch date. So I packed up the electronics and took them to the warm, comfy confines of my bedroom.

Keeping Perspective

I saw a documentary on Bruce Jenner the other night. Apparently, before his bronze in ’72, he focused 100% of his energy on the decathlon. After the crushing defeat, he took up table tennis and started drinking. In ’76, he took the gold in the decathlon. The movie hit pretty close to home. It is obvious that in ’09 that my focus was all about the trail. That was the whole problem. This time I think I am doing it right. If you want to finish this thing, you have to know more than hiking. You have to know yourself.

Staying Strong

Just the other day I got a message from one of my college friends wishing me luck on the trail and that she was sending me her prayers. I called her up and thanked her for the support, but told her that it was not needed. She should save her prayers for the weak.

Can’t Bring Me Down

Matt stopped by my apartment. He said that dad was sick of my antics, that it was time to come back to work. He said that dad thought I had gone totally insane, that playing video games on the Appalachian Trail was crazy. Was it crazy? When was the last time either of them hiked the trail? Last time I checked, I know more about the trail than just about anyone.

Unconditional Friendship

Scott told me he found my blog online. Never in a million years would I have predicted what happened next. He told me he was going to Vegas on the weekend of the 18th. I couldn't believe it, that was one week before I left for the trail. He said he had already bought a ticket for me, that this was going to be a celebration. Everyone knew I would make it this time, and this was their way of showing support. After he finished his beer, he looked over and said 'by the way, Tim is not invited'. I couldn't hold back the tears any longer.

An Enduring Promise

I will buy lobster for anyone who subscribes to my blog when I reach Maine.

No comments:

Post a Comment