Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Mail Bag

I want to go ahead and quickly address this comment from my last post:

When do you leave for the trail? What gear are you taking? How much training have you been doing? The AT being 2,180-ish miles is a shit load of hiking. Don't think I am criticizing you, but if I was about to hike for several months, I wouldn't be downing kegs of beer at Braves games and wrestling events. I understand the need to keep things in perspective and not focus entirely on the trip, but not going into the trail with the right mindset will lead to the most common injury, human error. Good Luck Bud.

First of all, I already stated that I'm leaving for the trail this weekend. Have you even be reading my blog? I'm taking state of the art camping gear purchased from REI. If you want some tips I can send you a list to your personal email. As far as training, I'm pretty sure I've done my fair share. I've been waking up at 10:30 AM every morning to get my body used to the hardships on the trail. I've been walking 3 miles through the neighborhood every day, sometimes with my backpack on.

I haven't been downing that much beer either. I only drank about 15 beers at Wrestlemania and about 20 at the Braves game. Anybody that's hiked the trail knows that you need a decent amount of fat reserves to make it the whole way through. This was just a convenient to do that. As far as keeping perspective, see my notes on Bruce Jenner in the March 28th post.

How many times have you hiked the trail, Tommy? I appreciate your comment, but wonder about your credentials. If you think you can handle it, feel free to join me at the starting line this weekend.

Also, you guys, it is always good to hear from my readers, so I encourage you to comment on my posts.

1 comment:

  1. First off, don't get the wrong impression about my questions, I am just curious about your hike. I would love to hike the entire AT but I don't think my wife or the government (student loans) would like me taking off several months. Also im in no shape to make that trek. As for my credentials: I have hiked a good bit of the AT, all over the south east, south west, and some in the Rockies.

    I am curious about your pack. How much does it weigh fully packed? I have tried all different packs, from ultra-lights(under 15lbs fully packed) to heavy (around 100lbs). Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

    About this 10:30 AM wake up. What time do you plan on waking up when you are out on the trail? I usually will wake before sunrise and pack everything up and have breakfast while watching the sun come up (always in a new location is pretty awesome). 10:30 AM seems pretty late and you will have lost lots of daylight. Right along with waking up, how many miles are you planning on treking each day? If you are only gonna do 3 miles it would take you over 726 days to complete the trail. If you do 15 miles a day, it would still take over 145 days.

    Anyways, good luck and I hope you see Maine, its beautiful!

    ReplyDelete