Friday, June 17, 2011

No Nuts, No Glory

Today will go down in history as the most impressive block of hiking known to mankind. I woke up this morning at 5:45 to a beautiful sunset. I rolled up my sleeping bag, ate a few power bars, threw on my pack, and headed down the trail. I was angry today my friends, like an old man trying to return soup at the deli. While my detractors went back to their every day lives, I went back to work. I was inspired by the old story of "Tragic Magic". Magic Johnson single handedly lost the 1984 championship for the Lakers. Instead of hanging his head, like most would, he was inspired to head right back into the gym the following week. This was my chance to prove everyone wrong.

I hiked for hours before I even checked my watch. It was 10:30, and I was tired. Tough. I pressed on, ignorant of time and space. I swear I had walked 10,000 steps if I had walked a mile. I started to cramp up. First, just my stomach. Then my legs. Finally even my brain started to cramp. I wasn't about to stop now, even if it cost me my life.

The sun finally started to fade into the distance, and I knew that there would be no shame in calling it a day. But I didn't stop. I pulled out my flashlight and continued on. I tripped over an exposed rock and went tumbling to the ground. I was so tired at this point that I couldn't stand back up. That's when I started to crawl. I crawled for an eternity before sapping every last ounce of strength within my body. I passed out, face down in the dirt. When I woke up this morning, I checked my GPS. I walked 37 miles yesterday! I was finally in Pennsylvania!

They said it couldn't be done, that I had my chance and I blew it. I'm already over halfway to Maine, much to the chagrin of those conspiring against me. It's only a matter of time now before I have the last laugh! I can taste victory on the edge of my tongue, and it is sweet. Back to work!!!

1 comment: