Monday, June 6, 2011

Yesterday was my toughest day on the trail yet. I ran out of food this weekend and have been living the past 18 hours on berries and mushrooms I found in the forest. I feel as if I am no longer hiking but surviving. I've begun to think thoughts that before would have been shrugged off as nonsense.

While foraging for sustenance last night I happened upon a lone female traveler. Instinctively I began to stalk her like the lion stalking the lamb. Without pause I picked up a large rock and began to edge ever closer. I made sure to cover my arms and face in mud. I learned from the movie Predator that this was the best way to blend in. I had to make sure she could not discover me by heightened infrared readings. As I got within striking distance sanity rushed back into my mind. What was I doing? Was I really about to kill this woman? Had 18 hours without food really turned me into an animal?

The more I thought about my dilemma the murkier it became. She was out here alone and no one would really miss her, would they? I knew that if I didn't eat soon I would die. It was either me or her. I couldn't live on mushrooms and berries forever – they don’t taste very good.

I was going to do it. I skulked in the shadows of the forest. Closer and closer I got, making sure my breaths coincided with hers. As far as she was concerned I was just another shadow in a sea of darkness. Then the unthinkable. I stepped on an errant branch, alerting her to my presence. Startled, she jumped back what seemed 20 feet. I could no longer do it. I broke down and started to cry. I was going to die out here. I then felt another power bar in my pack’s secret pocket.

After eating I felt 100 times better! I realized that I had almost succumbed to Trail Madness. I had read about Trail Madness before leaving but never thought it would happen to me. Apparently it inflicts as many as 22% of all Appalachian Trail Hikers. Trail Madness murders are rare, but known to occur.

In order to avoid madness, and to get the most from the trail, I have resumed following the Braves. I am a lifelong fan, dating back to the 1992 season. Unlike so many fair weather fans, I suffered through the hard times in the 90s.

Talk about suffering, Uggla is 5 of 60 with just one double. He has 1 RBI and his on base percentage is a pathetic .152. He is 11 for 97 in past 28 games. I will bring you guys more interesting statistics in the future because I am a true fan, unlike sports nuts named Tim who masquerade as fans.

I talked with my college friend Kyle a few days ago. He asked me if I was writing the blog or if I had hired a professional author. He is in the FBI and a linguistic forensics expert. He said that the writing on this blog was so superior to my 09 one that the agents at his station didn't believe I was writing it. This is nothing new. People have always underestimated me, and I have always proven them wrong. Nothing will change.

2 comments:

  1. Exactly where on the trail are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackson, thanks for the great comment. You obviously don't get the blog and are missing the entire point. I am attempting to capture all the spirit and beauty of everyday life on the trail. It would be unfair to me and even more so to my readers to get caught up in peripheral details like how many miles I've traveled a day or how far along I am.

    More importantly, I obviously cannot give you location at this time for security reasons. It is well known fact that certain agencies keep a case file for anyone with symptoms of Trail Madness. They have been known to neutralize them in the past. I have too much to live for at this point to be put down like a stray dog.

    For the time being, I will assume your inquiry was innocent. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete