Monday, July 4, 2011

Life or Death

I only covered a few miles today. I took it easy because of the holiday and all. I finally had a real dinner: 20 Chicken McNuggets, super size fries and two Big Macs. The only thing I don’t like about McDonald’s is that I have to sneak in a Dew and drink it on the sly because outside food and drink is forbidden.

After dinner, I checked facebook to see what everybody in civilian life was doing. I saw something on the news stream that made my blood run cold. My friend Seth is going to hike the trail.

I knew from the start this blog was a dangerous idea. Inspiring copycat hiking was inevitable. I just never thought it would be him. Seth will be as vulnerable as a newborn child on the trail.

Because Seth is getting on the trail solely due to me and my blog, I am compelled to save him from the harsh truth that the trail dispenses. I am going back so that I can either talk him out of the whole thing or guide him through it. I have come so far I can almost taste the lobster. I want more than anything to finish, but my friend’s life is more important.

It is going to be a long and brutal trip back to Georgia. I have my work cut out for me, what with the two hour layover in Charlotte. I am flying out of Harrisburg tomorrow and only hope I can get to Seth before he makes the biggest mistake of his life. I went on the trail once unprepared only to fail. I had to face ridicule from my peers and those closest to me, but at least I survived. I cannot in good faith let that happen to someone I love.

It is impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror has a face, and you must make a friend of it. Horror and the trail are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies.

Seth, I am warning you, turn back. You don't know what you are getting into. This trail will finish you. I cannot have your blood on my hands, as I have no more tears left to shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment