Friday, March 11, 2011

I am going to get lucky

You guys have likely noticed that I haven't posted anything since Sunday. Well if you've been keeping up with the blog you would realize that I am going to Vegas next week. I've adopted my attitude toward preparation for the trail to my prep for Las Vegas. There should be no problem preparing for both at once. Both involve marathon sessions of human exertion.

I've been watching 6 hours of ESPN's world poker tournament a day and have more or less mastered what it takes to win several thousand dollars next week. Master the probabilities, and you master the game. That is always the case in life. That is why this time on the hike, I am all in.

To make sure I can hold my own at the table, I went out and spent $200 on some dark sunglasses so that my opponents aren't able to read my eyes. I decided against using my trail glasses because I don’t want them on the flight. The changes in pressure can weaken the tensile strength of the carbon fibers. That is the last thing I need to go wrong on the trail. I figure it really won't cost me anything assuming I win a few grand.

As far as phsyical training for the trail, I decided that it was best to take it easy for a few days. It would be foolish to exhaust myself this close to launch. Last time I made this mistake by hiking the paved 2 mile trail at Stone Mountain. It really wore me out and I know that if I had just stayed at home I would have made it to at least Virginia last time.

It is so tough to put the ’09 hike out of my mind. It had a bigger impact on me than almost anything in my life. I had another bad dream about that hike two nights ago, but I don’t want to talk about it. I keep telling myself I have to look forward, not backward. I am like a shark, and I can only move in one direction.

So I may do some camping next week, but probably no more hiking until I am actually on the trail. I also need to test my gear to figure out if anything needs to be replaced. Looks like I have a pretty busy weekend ahead of me!

1 comment: