Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Final Preparations

So Vegas was awesome. I got to see lots of good friends and could really feel their support for me and my upcoming hiking trip. I played some poker, but it wasn’t very cool. I realized that the smart money plays the slot machines.

I had planned to set out on my trip this Saturday, but there are supposed to be thunder storms this weekend in Morganton. I have thought it over and think I will start next week instead. I think it was the great explorer David Livingstone who said “I will go anywhere, weather permitting.”

During the extra week of preparation I am going to make sure I am ready to go. I am going to put up the tent with the rain sleeve on Saturday. I think it may have sustained damage from the weather last time I camped out. I want to see how it weathers the storm.

While I was on the plane, I ordered a humidity meter with a wireless probe from SkyMall. It sends data to the main unit from up to 250 feet away. I got the express shipping so it should arrive tomorrow. I am going to put it inside of the tent and then monitor the humidity throughout the whole night. If there are any spikes in the reading it probably means the tent is leaking and I will have to buy a new one.

While in Vegas I meet a cool guy who had hiked the trail back in the '90s. He said he did it without a GPS or PS3 setup. I asked if he had brought an SNES or Genesis with him and he said no. I really don't know if I believe him, because it seems impossible. He did offer me a good piece of advice, bulk up before launch. I am going to head to GNC tomorrow to see about putting some weight on in this extra week of preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment