Friday, October 7, 2011

Coming Clean

Today marks an important anniversary to the world: my birthday. I wanted to reflect on everything in my life over the last year, so I told dad that I would need a four day weekend. Like always he told me that this was the final straw. If I didn't come in today I might as well not come in again. Let's see who blinks first. I am looking right at you dad, and I will not be blinking any time soon.

I have to come clean with you guys, my fans. Just like that guy from Oprah's book club, I've been lying to you. I never actually went out on the Appalachian Trail: I was actually blogging from my futon for the past four months. This is probably why you saw me at Braves games, out getting wasted, constantly writing on Facebook, at baby showers, and online for Halo Reach daily at 3 AM. However, I did take 6 months off from work. That part is true. I also helped a lot of you guys along the way with hiking and technology tips. Just today I saw my friend Chase in despair. He is not smart enough to update his Droid, and asked for help. Here is the way to update your phone, Chase: take your droid and throw it in the trash. Then buy the latest iPhone

The inspiration for BATB 2.0 actually came from a conversation I had with a guy at comic con last year. He said if you set your mind to it, you can do just about anything. He cited the fact that even without his adamantium skeleton, Wolverine was able to take down his arch nemesis Sabertooth. He was right. If a made up comic book character could overcome adversity with some clever writing, so could I. This is why I chose to deceive you guys. It was not out of malice but the purest of intentions. I wanted to prove that anything was possible. I'm glad that I proved myself right. While I may not have covered any physical ground on the Trail, my blog speaks for itself. Even though I may have jumped the shark with that whole Seth arch.

Do I miss it? You bet your ass I do. There are often times when I stay up at night, wondering what could have happened if I had finished the trail this time. Sure, not actually finish it, but blog about finishing it. I just didn't anticipate it would take this much out of me. I look back now at all the late night, Dew fueled brainstorming sessions and wonder what if...

But hey, only the weak have thoughts such as these. Today is my birthday, and I'm going to do what I do best. DB is out on the town! Holla!

No comments:

Post a Comment